Monday, September 21, 2009

Magical Wine Events

One of the things I miss most coming from a well developed wine region is the choices in fine dining and good wine bars. Since moving here, I have visited every wine bar and every restaurant boasting a good wine list. Until now I had not been overly impressed. But Friday night I visited Anthony’s Restaurant and then their new wine bar Bella Serra and came home knowing we are evolving into a wine town to be proud of!

My husband and I went with two of our dearest friends who really know good food and wine. I respect their culinary opinions more then just about anyone I know and we have visited other wine bars and restaurants together. Our friends had been to Anthony’s before and had given it favorable reviews but it was my husbands and my first time there and none of us had visited the wine bar located just behind the restaurant. Anthony’s menu was quite extensive with choices from veal to clams and their wine list boasted some of the best wines of the Umpqua Valley.

They offered a nice selection of Italian wines and I was so pleased to see micro beer on tap available too. Our dinner was good and the waiter Carl put up with my questions on how they stored their wines and my observation that they serve their whites too cold- a common mistake made at many restaurants. We ordered a lovely bold Italian wine and it came promptly and was enjoyed by all.

After dinner we moved to Bella Serra their wine bar located in a separate space just behind the restaurant. The minute I walked in I was impressed with the energy of the place. It felt very inviting with an intimate feeling about it. The acoustics were really good and the lighting was just right, creating a warm soft feeling. The entry way was decorated with art by local artists and one picture was so nice our friends could not resist taking it home with them. We chose a comfy table and sat down to the melody of a two man band playing some popular tunes. The band was quite good and perfect for the venue. You could easily hold a conversation and hear the music. We ordered glasses of wine and I could not help ordering the Ahi Tuna appetizer. Cooked to perfection! Everything was just right. The service provided by our same Anthony’s waiter Carl, the music, the food and most importantly the wine. We all agreed they had something pretty special here. We talked about how nice it will be to come in the summer during the wonderful warm evenings and sit out on the large patio, sipping fine wine (or a beer on tap) while enjoying the great food, good service and good tunes.

After visiting Bella Serra I know Roseburg has finally arrived into the world of wine beyond our excellent wineries. The ability to share fine wine and good food with friends should not end at the close of our local wineries or be limited to our own homes. And with Bella Serra in business it doesn’t have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment