Monday, March 29, 2010

The “Just Right” Temperature!

 

sommedudecard I have written before about the importance of serving temperatures for wine but I had two experiences last week that made me think it was time to bring the whole subject up once again.  While I was enjoying two wines on two separate occasions the circumstances around enjoying each of them meant there was quite a bit of time between the first glass and the second.  The second glass was so profoundly different in taste compared to the first glass due only to a little breathing time and a change in temperature. And while I know very well how temperature can dramatically change the taste of a wine -so much so that the subject of temperature is a big part of our wine education when touring with clients - it had been a long time since I had been in a position to taste a good wine at the wrong temperature.  Wow what an eye opener!

In both instances they were  local wines.  One was a Syrah and the other a Sauvignon Blanc.  In the case of the Syrah it was first tasted  at 55 degrees and by the time I got back to the wine it was now closer to 65 degrees.  I usually like my reds a bit cooler but in this case this wine really popped at the warmer temperature!  The bold fruit was bright and concentrated and the smoky black pepper nuances were a wonderful contrast with the sweetness of the fruit and made the whole wine sing in my mouth.  The way the wine sat on my tongue was almost like velvet and I savored every sip allowing each mouthful to spend ample time saturating my very happy palette. In the case of the Sauvignon Blanc my first taste was at about 58 degrees and the second taste was a good 15 degrees cooler. I like my whites - providing they are well crafted wines as this was -a bit warmer then most wine drinkers.  Usually around 55 degrees.  In this case the first glass was silky smooth and had the most beautiful nectarine and honey combined with the typical grapefruit taste characteristics you get with Sauv Blanc. The first glass had so much going on and there was layers of flavors and aromas that were just delightful. The whole wine was well balanced with just the right acid and fruit. I thought the wine was at the perfect temperature and not wanting it to get any warmer, put it in the fridge for what I thought would be just a few minutes, but by the time I got back to enjoy another glass, the wine  had cooled significantly.  The wine was now almost all grapefruit and acid and the interesting, subtle, softer flavor nuances of honey and nectarine were just a memory.  Wow! This wine had gone from a really interesting wine with so much to enjoy to a one dimensional taste experience!

Little things matter when it comes to getting the most out of your wines. Temperature is so important and easy to manage and serving our wines at the best temperature is of the things we can do to really make our quality wines shine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment