Monday, July 19, 2010

Get Out Of Your Wine Rut

So often I am asked by wine tour clients and other wine interested folks what my favorite wine is. I often overhear clients and winery visitors trying to decide at any given winery which wine they like the very best. And this weekend while visiting a winery the tasting room staff member told us she and her husband only drink wines from that particular winery she worked for. So I thought it was high time to address all this and give some straight talk about “favorite” wines and finding wines you like.

I would like you to know when asked, “What is your favorite wine?” I always give the same response, “There are 365 days in the year and I can easily have 365 different favorites!” And this is absolutely the truth. I would no more want to eat the same food everyday then drink the same wine. Nor would I want to eat every meal from the same restaurant and chef everyday either. The point being that different moods as well as different seasons and any food you are enjoying as well as the setting and even those who you are sharing the wine with suggest different wines and ultimately a unique wine experience. These different experiences allow for a myriad of wines to explore and to enjoy and a wine lovers journey is never about finding just one favorite wine it is about the exploration and the advancement of their own wine journey. When visiting a winery and finding wines I like I never try to reduce it all to the best one. I am searching for wines that I find interesting and those that will enrich the enjoyment of my life. I look for wines I think will pair well with certain foods and those I want to enjoy all on their own. I look for warmer weather wines and cool weather wines, deep expressive wines and those that are uncomplicated and easy to drink for those times I just want to sip a glass of wine.

All of the talented wine makers I have ever met have made it clear they drink wine other than their own. I do believe this is what keeps their talent flowing and keeps them trying new things. Most understand the rut of getting what they call “local palate” so make sure they not only drink wines other than their own but make a point of sampling wines from many other wine regions of the world as well. So many I know get inspiration from tasting wines different from their own. For winery insiders to only drink one vintners wine is not only sad but really does themselves and their wine visitors who look to them as experts in their field, a disservice. Without comparisons and without exploration there is no knowledge. Without experiences there is no growth. Without growth there is no wisdom. Not to mention being in a wine rut is dull and no fun! Wines change and evolve in the bottle and each year new wines are released and passionate wine makers are trying out new winemaking styles. Mother nature delivers something different to us every year and to see the expression of nature and nurture in the bottle is fascinating. Drinking wines from other local wineries as well as wines from other states and countries allows for a true understanding of wine and the vastness of the wine world and the uniqueness of different wine regions. Simply put the more you explore outside of your own backyard the more you can appreciate what you have right at home. And you can appreciate it as it fits into a much bigger world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment